The spark plug is an essential component of the motorcycle’s ignition system. It ignites the pressurized mixture of fuel and air into the chamber of the engine where combustion takes place.
Most persons do not take the importance of the spark plugs in a motorcycle when it plays a very crucial role in the continuous function of your motorcycle. If they do not function well, then your motorcycle would also not work properly. Manufacturers always suggest that the spark plugs should be changed in regular intervals. However, due to dust and a poorclass of fuel, ignition plugs should be cleaned frequently. Learn more at autodoc.co.uk.
Varying upon the style of motorcycle you own, there can two to six different plugs present. These plugs are situatedin the upperportion of the engine covered with black insulation and attached to the black wire with some thickness.
You will need the following tools to replace your old plug:
- A new Plug
- Spark Plug Socket Tool
- Spark Plug Gapping Tool
You can replace your spark plug using the following step:
- Firstly, confiscate the wire of the plug by removing out the cap. This cap is generally black. Do not damage the wires directly from the cap as it can cause permanent harm to the cap of the plug.
- Now fasten the plug outlet to the notch device start rotating the notcharound the plug. While doing this ensure thatthe outlet has an appropriate grip on the outlet hole. With the use ofa ratchet,the tool keeps turning the plug,in an anti-clockwise direction till the time where it becomes loose. When it gets loose enough, take away the old plug with your hands.
- Thoroughly review and examine the plug for tainting that is indicated by ash, oil stains, carbon deposits, or any other type of damages. The plug when brought out should be of yellow or grey color and it must be clean and dry. If the plug is found to be rusted or tainted then you must tune it up.
- Before fitting the new plug, you must be assured that proper gapping is performedon it. If you require your bike to work properly, then there must be no space left between the central conductor and the baseconductor. The details ofthe exact gaping can be discovered in the user manual book of the motorcycle. This is the time where we will use the gapping tool for the plug. Cords of separate thickness are utilized by these tools to identify the space in the plug. Now inject the gapping tool intospace and measure the reading. If the measurement matches whatis mentioned in the service manual then you are good to go.
- Attach the replacement plug slowly with the help of your hand to ensure that it fits properly.
- Utilizing the socket tool and notchstrengthens up the plug accordingly.
- At last, put the caping of the back on it. You can replace your remaining plugs applying these steps.